Sunday, January 10, 2010

HONOLULU MARATHON!!!



The main reason for my parents' visit this time was the marathon. Ever since I ran cross country in highschool, my dad (who was also my trainer) and I always said we would do a marathon together someday. Don't ask me why we didn't do it when we were both in our prime but at least we can say that we did it and finished still standing! Eventhough my dad has run many, this was Oscar and mine's first marathon and it was very exciting! Oscar's pace is much faster than mine and he did awesome with a finishing time of 4:25. That's really good for not training as much as they say we should. My dad stayed the whole race with me and we finished together holding hands (running and cheering) past the finish line. We did it in 5:45. This is a memory I'll never forget and I'm so grateful that I have my dad to do this with. Running has always been something we have had in common (among many things) but this special bond is really unlike any other. I thank God for my dad!


Oscar's running buddies at work also ran the marathon and it was great to have a group of friends all there at the finish line, encouraging and sharing in the experience together. It was the first of many marathons for the group. Sign us all up for next year!



Mile 6 - Mom brought the kids down at 6:00 am to see us run through Waikiki - so far, feeling great!



Getting ready to pass the finish line! Very happy and still running :)


Us - after the race! Very happy we are done and actually not feeling too bad!


The group - Dennis (kneeling down), Ivan, Ed, Mike, Oscar, Daddy, and me. A few others are not in the picture but congrats to EVERYONE!!

2 comments:

The Eigenbrood's said...

I love this story! What an awesome memory to have w/ your dad!!

Dad said...

Well Beth, we finally did it! I am so glad you got me going again. I am proud of you for doing this especially being such a busy mom. I recovered so quickly that I decided to keep going in my training and scheduling a race at least once a month. Love you...keep it up...Dad.

1 Peter 5:10-11

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.